Monday, April 6, 2009

Train ride rant ... Should have flown

So, turns out that the train ride from Athens to Budapest is a good,
oh um... Two and a half days! Ha! I should have researched that a
little before I left. I would hve just flown Ryan Air.

The overnight trains, though they seem like a goold idea, are not so
great. Not in Greece, Bulgaria or Serbia anyway. They stop every 45
min. And of course I wake up at every stop. Also, the passport checks
between Bulgaria and Serbia were ridiculouse! I waited to get
comfertabl in my bunk until the ticket check and passport reps from
each country came to do there thing. That should be three knocks and
my cabin door then I can hit the sack. Right? Nope, not so much. Nine
times! I had my passport checked nine bloody times!

So the next day after switching trains to go from Belgrade to Budapest
I get my passport out of my purse and prepare for the onslot of
security sillyness. It was checked once. Yup. Just once.

So my theroy is that on night trains going through Serbia and Bulgaria
it is a big joke to keep passangers from sleeping as much as possible.
And not only to keep them from sleeping, but also to wait until they
think it's safe to finnaly get into bed and get some rest, maybe even
fall asleep a little, and then go ratteling doors hollering "passport!
Passport, border contol, passport!"

Just a theroy


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: