Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Train/s to Prague

April 10th

Yesterday Will and I started our day by finding the station that we leave to Prague from. It was much more difficult than it should have been. Two directionally challenged people and two maps does not make an efficient mix. But it was pretty funny.

After that little ordeal we stocked up on a crap load of junk-food and went to the huge park, which took forever to
walk through but is super pretty, and ate ourselves silly.

We did have some healthy stuff, strawberries, which we ate half of them gave the rest to a group of stoner teenagers who accepted them with enthusiasm. I was a little bit afraid they might bite my arm off too. The strawberries vanished in seconds. Stoners.

After totally pigging out we napped in the sun then got up to brave the rides. We went on one that left us bruised and crippled. Then another one that seats four in one row then slingshots us into the air, sending the bench into spins at the peak of each swing. Will felt sick afterwards so that was the end of that. Back to our hostels to recoup.

We met later for dinner and picked this posh place that gave us these miniature portions of fantastic tasting food. At the end of our ‘meal’ they gave us these little 4 inch Lindor bunnies to take with us. We took pictures of us biting their heads off. It was a great dinning experience but we had to get McDonalds afterwards. Ew.

The next morning was a gong show for me.

Turns out transit rout #39 takes more than 20min to get from my hostel to the train station. Transit rout #39 is really not as easy as the map makes it look.

Stumid map.

The metro part was not that bad but getting from the last stop to the train station did not go well. I could not find the trolley bus I was supposed to take and I was running out of time fast. The train was scheduled to leave at 10:58, I was supposed to meet Will at a cafe in the station at 10:00. I hopped he as running late too. I was about to get a cab but decided to ask one more person for help.
He directed me to an intercity train that went straight to the station. It was 10:25. The intercity was supposed to be there in five more minutes. Whew. Then I took that ‘whew’ back… ten the minutes started going up instead of down.

So a taxi it was. The taxi misunderstood me and started towards the wrong station. I was pissed. We started again to the correct station and I ran into the cafe with eight minutes to spear. I had hoped that if is was late that Will would just get on the train. But bless him. He checked with the teller. We would loss our reservations but his ticket would still be valid, and of course so would my Eurorail pass. But we ran anyway, and we made it. Woohoo!

We found our seats and jammed our luggage into a storage area then got settled in behind the most annoying kid on the planet. Poor Will Doesn’t like kids. Not even a little. I do, so my patience was higher, but not high enough. After the third or fourth time he body-checked the seat and nearly spilt my coffee on my computer I was ready to snap. The up-down button for the window screen was a toy and the seats where a jungle gym. He backed off from us after I gave him a glare and a shake of my head. But continued to be a shit everywhere else. Will told me that while I was getting food and coffee the kid got a smack from his dad. I’m not surprised he was acting out if that is how he is dealt with.

Near the end of one of my Rossetta Stone Spanish lessons the train stopped. There was an announcement about a delay, we would be on again shortly. (Lies! Shorlty my foot) The train moved again after a half hour then booted everyone off at the next station. “Problem with train” was all they could tell us. We where given poor directions to another train heading to Prague that we were to board on platform two. Fifteen minutes later. Back to platform three. Everyone scrambled onto this train as if it where the last train to freedom. We managed to find seats with two
American girls from NY, (Will is also from NY) and space for our luggage. Others where not so
lucky. The halls in the cars infront of us where full of people sitting on the floor, as where the spaces between cars. Every hour or so there was an announcement about a food car near the other side of the train. …To Be Continued..

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: